Javascript

Monday, January 21, 2013

It's almost over now

You can't be me, I'm a rockstar. No, hang on. I'm a nerd, not a N*E*R*D.

But I have made it almost to the end of the My Story question line for Addison Axe.  The only thing yet to do is run the Arah dungeon in story mode, and give Zhaitan the big number two. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to that, but it's good to know that it's there if I can get two consecutive hours, after a successful run at downing the Risen Knight group event.  Just because the teleport at the Arah dungeon entrance is not contested, doesn't mean you should visit there, unless you are absolutely sure the area has been taken by the Pact.

This weekend, I wondered about the dragon events. You know, those three dragon events that happen every three hours, open to anyone who can there and who is of the appropriate level (tiered at levels 50, 60 and 80).  And my wondering was why people do them.  Sure, they're internet dragons.  And if you haven't got good loot yet, they're okay for that.  If you contribute to the fight, you might even get a rare.  Plenty of people complain that they don't get enough rares.  Perhaps it's to hopefully score a Glob of Ectoplasm from the salvaging of the rare item, if you use the right salvaging kit.  I just wish there was enough coin reward from the event to cover the cost of teleporting to the location for the event.

Given that I still haven't done any more dungeons, other than that one AC one, I got a little excited when I discovered exotic gear being available for karma.  While running around on Orr, I came across the statue of Dwayna, and helped two others complete the chain of events there.  This included bringing down a priestess of Dwayna and the statue itself, both champion level nasties.  At the end, the quest giver for the chain became a karma merchant, and had exotic gear that seemed to suit healing Guardians for 42,000 karma a pop.  I got rather giddy, and ended up purchasing a pair of the boots for my warrior.  Sure, healing gear might have been a bit of a waste, but I didn't know when I'd get a better opportunity for a boot upgrade.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough karma for a second item.  Or was that just luck.

Later on, I saw calls going up for Melandru.  By the time I got to the location, Melandru was down, but the karma merchant was there, and was selling heavy exotics, featuring power, toughness and vitality. By this time, I had another 42,000 karma available to spend, so I picked up the chest piece.

What I really need to do now if figure out how I want to gear my level 80 toons, and investigate all exotic armor available for karma, work out how to maximize karma earnings, without doing dungeons, and start collecting.  Of course, I'm going to do the optimistic thing, and gear as though I was going to do dungeons.  For this, I need to decide if I'm going to gear for Toughness or Vitality.  Having both is probably overkill, and only leaves you with other other primary stat, which is Power (from Melandru).  And just having power is fine, if your damage is flat, or you are spec'd to have abilities that mostly scale and trigger from power.  From what I've seen, and how I play (Greatsword and Rifle), abilities seem to trigger from doing critical attacks. Power would give an initial baseline for those attacks, and critical damage would enhance those critical attacks.

Of course, that doesn't mean I have to stack my gear and abilities to do all the same stats.  I could go half and half.  Have my abilities selected based on the special abilities available for my selected weapons, and then fill in the missing stats with gear.  More research definitely needs to be done.  At this point, however, I think I would select Toughness for my warrior, and Vitality for my Guardian.  Then I would select Power for my warrior, and Healing for my Guardian.  And then I would select Precision for my warrior.  I'm not sure what I would select for my Guardian. Perhaps Condition Damage, but then again, I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of choice, once you select Vitality and Healing.  Like I said, more research needs to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment