Javascript

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Addison to the fore

It's been a little quiet around here, and that's because I've been playing nothing but Guild Wars 2.

Two nights ago, I finally got my second character, Addison Axe, to level 80.  Addison Axe is a warrior who enjoys weapon crafting, jewels and long walks from Frostgorge Sound to the Blazeridge Steppes.

I posted a question on the guild forum, asking what does one normally to at level 80. My WoW past has given me blinkers on what to do in the end game (grind that rep, grind that gear, grind that honor, grind that quest gold, master your abilities. New expansion, wait, what? Do it all again).

The short reply was anything you want.  Which is great, but did I level to 80 just so I could do stuff that was doable along?  I think not.

So here is my expanded list of stuff to do.


Dragon Events. Check. After getting to the Jormag event 30 seconds before the end (and then getting knocked off one of the side cliffs), I did a run to the Shatterer teleport. Some very nasty country along that route. It reminded me of the low level Charr landscapes in GW1 (I didn't play GW1 very much). Very striking, and a little scary. So now I have the teleports for the dragons. If I was to level more characters, it would be to park them at a dragon event location, so I don't have to bear the brunt of the teleport cost.

Farming stuff. That's one of the nice things about GW2. I've not had to go farming yet. Sure, in the course of exploring and questing, I've gathered many materials, but I've not had to run rings around a map, killing and collecting for the sole purpose of crafting. Maybe I've not enough crafting professions that require jute.

The Legendary. I had a look up the requirements for that the other night. Holy crap, that is some serious dedication. And why shouldn't it be. To craft a legendary, I guess you must be legendary! For the moment, I'm definitely not worthy.

Dungeons. Yes, that is something I should look into at some point. As well as the specs required to actually contribute to a dungeon run. So far, I've only run one dungeon (AoC?), and I sucked. Is FotM a good place to start? I've seen calls for FotM at fairly low levels, so I'm guessing it must be fairly accessible (i.e. good for newbs, rather than easy to get to).

WvW. I've tried a bit of that, but I must not be spec'd for it very well. I think I have one kill to my name. lol. Are there actual rewards for WvW, other than contributing to realm benefits?

sPvP. That, I've had a bit more success with. So far, Rank 7. From what I can tell, you can get access to all sPvP specific weapons, armor, sigils and runes. Does this change after Rank 10? Are there improvements in gear, or is it just for the bragging rights of being a particular rank, mastering your sPvP leetness and getting better looking gear?

Exploring! This may be the low hanging fruit for the short sighted (like me). Col currently has 51% for exploration, but I think I'm going to take that further with Addison Axe.

Crafting. This is probably something better not left until the end. Addison got through her last 3 levels on the strength of leveling jewelcrafting.

Specs, traits and weapon skills. This one might end up going hand in hand with farming stuff, especially when it comes to purchasing the skill books so you can get access to the next tier of traits. Addison has just over 3g now, and I'm loathe to blow that on the skill book until I've got another 1g in the bank.

Somewhere in there, I'm looking for pointers to get me a better weapon, but deep down, I know there isn't the same gear grind in GW2 as there was (ahem, is) in WoW.  And I count my blessings for that.  Then there's the Legendary, which is one hell of a gear grind.  Perhaps I should max my weaponcrafting, and see what I can come up with in the way of a greatsword.

No comments:

Post a Comment