Javascript

Sunday, November 11, 2012

One thing led to another

Levelling in Guild Wars 2, later in the game, seems to go a bit quicker than expected.  I managed to knock over two levels today, and now I'm level 76, fast approaching the level 80 cap. However, I'm still working my way through a level 60 to 70 zone, and the My Story quest is at level 68.  And worse still, my gear seems to average about level 65.  I actually found a Basic (white) item that out geared my currently equipped Masterwork (green) item.

One of the things that struck me today about GW2 is how one thing leads to another, and before you know it, you've got a group event on your hands.

I was tooling around the side of some mount, and I noticed an event quest where the NPC needed reviving.  The NPC was in a cave behind an encampment, so I wandered in to have a gander.  Holy dooley!  No less than 4 veteran mobs were loitering around the NPC.  I had a go at kiting one of the mobs, but it was a bit risky and I was quickly overwhelmed and had to run out.

Then another player came along, and we had a bit more of a go at it.  With two players, kitting was a bit more successful, but it really came together when a third player joined in.  We were about to down the veterans, revive the NPC, guard the NPC while she did her thing, and defeat further spawning mobs and veterans.

Completion of that event spawned 3 more events.  The necessary destruction of destroyers!  Following the target areas on our mini maps, we made our way into the heart of the mountain and proceeded to lay waste to destroyer crabs and trolls. East side, south side and north side.

When that was completed, we found ourselves in the heart of the mountain, which was in fact, a volcano.  We grabbed a skill point, and then the next part of the event started to play out.  Three stabilizers were arranged around the magma pool.  Asura were stationed at each one, but they needed help keeping them going, and keeping destroyer trolls and crabs from stopping them and the stabilization process they were carrying out.  By this point, we had 4 other people helping, so we were able to defend a stabilizer each.  Many Large Claws were looted by all!

Once the stabilization process completed, a huge destroyer champion came out of the magma.  By this time, many more people had join the event.  There was running commentary from the NPCs to give guidance as to what to do (kill the baddies) and GW2s pattern of making red circles of death helped many avoid such a thing.  I must say, I do like the rally and revive mechanic.  It's really handy for keeping an event such as this going, without having a wipe and reset.

After what seemed like an age, the champion came down.  I had to make a little more room in my inventory, and then I was able to collect my rewards from the chest.

It's awesome when one thing leads to another, and culminates in a group event such as this.  A raid feel without having to actually be in a raid.

In other news, I finally uninstalled WoW, RIFT and LotRO.  Next months full back with be that little bit lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment