Javascript

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bye Bye, Monster World


Monster World is leaving Google Plus on May 1st.

Whilst many folks would say good riddance to games on Google Plus, this is one pointless click grind that I would miss.

I guess the costs of running on the platform are greater than the money they draw in. Makes me wonder which specific parts of the game made it fail on Google Plus.

Clearly it is a lack of paying customers, otherwise it would be profitable, and allowed to stay. But is the lack of paying customers due to a lack of active players, of which a certain percentage are likely to pay? I have about 35 monster world neighbours, but only 5 or so are active.

Was it that the game was too easy? Zombie Lane is another game I was playing for a while, but the grind kicked it up a notch with the mass release of new zones, turning it into a soul sucking pointless grind, instead of a fun pointless grind.

Is it that Google Plus has failed as a games platform? There was much gnashing of teeth when games were first introduced to Google Plus. There was a fair bit of promotion by Google Plus staff for new games coming on. Though eventually, the promotion settled, and games stuck to it's tab and it'd dedicated stream without infecting the main public stream too much (except for the odd gamer who would copy stuff to the public stream, or turn on email notifications for posts to the game stream). By and large, many folks have come to Google Plus to escape the Zynga posts, and Google Plus has delivered a platform that leaves those folks alone, for the most part. Some Googlers aren't even aware that games exist, although the new Google Plus layout with text under the icons makes it pretty clear.

I'll miss Monster World a little, but not enough to start it on Facebook.

8 comments:

  1. please change your font color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, will do. That will teach me to copy and paste from Google Plus, without reviewing.

      Delete
  2. I like monster world i don't want it to leave,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem with Monster World was that the implementation on Google * was fundamentally broken. Gifts sent to neighbors didn't appear, rewards for responding to notifications were not added (woogoo or experience) to name but two key failings. Wooga consistently failed to respond to complaints about these points.

    Maybe it was on the "too hard" pile?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANY WAY ITS VERY HARD TO ACCEPY.. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that. I'm probably still going to keep playing, as long as it is available on the platform.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you - I enjoy Monster World and will miss it but I just don't like the way Facebook games spam your main stream. Having a dedicated games stream on G+ is brilliant, you can send gifts and requests to your heart's content without annoying people.
    ... and I like my monsters :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This game wasn't that great. It's not as interesting by design as the comparable games from Zynga (lack of missions, things to buy, ways to earn money, etc.) On top of that, half the features did not even work, which was extremely frustrating. I don't see anyone in their right mind spending money on the game that's not working. This game should go and never come back. At least until they fix it.

    ReplyDelete