Javascript

Monday, October 04, 2010

Pathak Remembers His Brief Fury Encounter

I was having a read of the latest MMO Champion article, and saw this repost from the blues:

Using all your GCDs
Yes, and we have said this a lot, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. In a nutshell, the problem with filling every single GCD is it gives you no room to do anything else. If you're called upon to do something special or even run away or even look around to see how the fight is going, you don't have the cognitive space to do so. If we give you a proc to use and your rotation is so locked then you can't use the proc, then we have a problem. If you literally can't stand to go 1.5 sec every now and then without hitting a button, then our game has serious problems. :(

I know this is really weird for paladins who just have the muscle memory of always hitting something -- anything -- every GCD. It will take some getting used. Just try to evaluate whether it's truly not fun or whether it's just really different. Having any class that hits a button every 1.5 seconds is something we're trying to move away from though. We don't think it's good for the game.
The comment is actually about Paladins, but it reminded me of Pathaks brief encounter with the Fury spec shortly before WotLK was due to hit.  The actual 3.0.1 release had hit (or whatever it was called), and with it came free respecs (not sure if that was for all classes).  Anyway, Titans Grip looks interesting and fun, so picked a Fury spec and tried doing the Quel'Danas dailies.

Well, that lasted all of an afternoon, and back to Arms I went.  What made Fury so weird was the lack of button pushing I had to do, as compared with Arms at the time.  I would look at the tools available, while in Berserker stance, and think "So, my few abilities are on cool down, what do I do now?".  Arms may not need to press a button at every GCD, but Fury felt like there were several GCDs passing me by as I waited for my next ability to be available.

Maybe I was doing wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised, afterall, I'd only given the spec a single afternoon to reveal itself to be "fun".

For the record, I like direct that certain classes shouldn't need to be pressing something every single GCD.  It makes the decision to get out the fire easier (though it should be a no brainer already, you still meet the occasional person who insists that their DPS is more important that their health pool), because you can afford to actually move, rather than spam the next ability that must be selected with precision timing or OMG, MY ROTATION ITS RUINED I'M MELTING I'M MELTING!

But I digress.

I'm just a little excited about 4.0.1 hitting "soonish".  As MMO Champion mentioned, proabably not this week.  My thought was that if Brewfest is due to run until October 6, then an October 5 release of 4.0.1 would be in the middle of that, and that just didn't feel right.  At the end of this month, I head off for a 4 week jaunt around Europe, and should be back in time to recover from jet lag, and get Cataclysm. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Hrm, I wonder where casters fit into that concept of theirs? Casters have to use every GCD - since they have no auto-attack, it's always a choice between pressing a button or doing nothing at all.

    I can't really see that changing, so I just find it weird that they are so worried about the poor melee having too many buttons to press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blizzard may console themselves that casters will have at least one long casting ability, they leaves a little time to think about the next thing to do.

    Melee seldom have abilities with a cast time, although I think it was Slam that has a 1.5sec cast time.

    ReplyDelete