Javascript

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Aman'Thul vs Barthilas

Most of my toons are now located on Aman'Thul, a PvE realm, as Alliance.  I have two 80s and a 70 left on Malygos.  Perhaps one day, Znakharka the 80 Shaman will make the transfer to Aman'Thul, but probably not until toon limits per realm are lifted.  The primary reason for this is that I have eight toons on Aman'Thul, I'm leaving one spot spare for a Worgen druid in Cataclysm, and I'll leave another spot spare for whatever may happen in the expansion after Cataclysm.  If the character limit per realm is increased, then I'd bring Znak over, and probably Chivers as well (70 Mage).  Unfortunately, Hinny will have to stay there, as you can only have one Death Knight per realm.

At the moment, I'm leveling Misnomer, a Troll rogue on Barthlias, a PvP realm.  This started as an experiment in seeing what the Horde story line was like, and also to experience leveling on a PvP realm.  Misnomer made it as far as level 61 before WotLK was released, and I've only just started leveling her again.  She's now at level 66 but has no rested bonus, so I'll be leveling Dubh, a druid with a bent for enchanting and jewelcrafted (ah, the shinies!).  I've got 9 toons on Barthilas, with Misnomer at level 66, Petitemorte, a Tauren Deathknight at 58 and the rest at about 20 or better.  I've got a warrior languishing on a second account from when I was duel boxing, but I'm never likely to revive him.  When Cataclysm is released, I'll be rolling a Goblin on this realm, and will probably start a warlock.  I've already got one called Metacarpal (he's Undead, can you tell?), but I figure that warlocks make a good representation of goblins, and I've already got Misnomer as a rogue.

Anyway, the point of this post was the difference between Aman'Thul and Barthilas.  There are the glaringly obvious differences that also make them constants.. Alliance vs Horde, PvE vs PvP.  They're both Oceanic, so for the most part, that is a constant.

The interesting difference that caught my eye was the usage of 2.Trade. 

On Aman'Thul, trade is used for everything.  Trade, General, LFM, LFDungeon, LFGroup, LFGuild, LFRaid and mostly, the collection of inane chats about Anal [Spell Link], how someone's a ninja, what a douche Stormkid is and the usual bickering about real life stuff.

On Barthilas, it's... different.  It must has started as a "thing" where to get your say, you needed to make sure it stayed on the 2.Trade channel long enough to be read.  So instead of saying it once, or even at 30 second intervals, it gets spammed 5 times in a row, and then that spam happens every 5 seconds.  Initially, it was very off putting.  I had quite a few people on my ignore list.. and then I realised this was the norm for Barthilas.  Trade chat was the LFR/M channel, and any actual chat about trade would have to be limited to /say, or spammed just as much, if not more.  On the lighter side, there's very little trash talk you'd recognised as it's constantly being whisked away by LFM spam.

The AH was also different.  A couple of inspired users (on Barthilas) have trying to make usage of Auctioneer a bit tricky.  They've got postings in just about every item going for anywhere between 1000g and 50000g, just to mess up the average price of whatever it is you're trying to automatically adjust margins for.  I'm not really sure what the long term effect is, though I suspect it might add stability to prices, as all bids and buyouts would need to be manually set, instead of doing an automatic undercut.

So far, I'm enjoying Barthilas again.  Though, in Outland, I've only seen 2 Alliance and have been ganked by neither.  I'm told that almost everyone is in Northrend, and the dieing happens regularly.  Makes me wonder if I should make the most out of Outland, while it's quiet, and perhaps do SSO dailies to help raise gold until I hit 70 or so, or if I should bite the bullet and hit Northrend at 68, since I'm going to get ganked by level 80 alliance, regardless of if I'm 68 or 70 for a start, anyway.  I'm also thinking I should get my Engineering and Cooking up to scratch before hitting Northrend as well. Stamina buffs would be welcome and being able to process the ore I collect immediately will cut down on the need to buy bigger bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment